As part of the MSU Science Festival, I’m giving a public talk on alien worlds (“exoplanets”) this Saturday April 17 at 11am EDT. It’ll be fun for adults as well as kids. Here’s the link to join the webcast. You’ll need to register on the virtual platform (it’s quick and free) to access the details. See you there!
The MSU Physics choir, the Grand Canonical Ensemble (it’s a physics pun), had our virtual performance at the end of 2020. Since we rehearsed on zoom with sound off the whole semester, this was also our first time ever hearing each other and how we sounded together!
Update: Here are the two songs from Spring 2021:
In an effort to both support local farms and avoid the grocery store as much as possible (no more than once every 2 or 3 weeks), I’ve been ordering things directly from farms! They’re listed in order of approximate distance from the city of Lansing. Some of them have come from a list of farmers market vendors in the area. Please let me know if I’ve mislabeled anything or missed one you love!
- Magnolia Farms, Lansing: greens, vegetables, seedlings
- Half Barn Farm, Lansing: greens, vegetables, seedlings, cut flowers
- Highwater Farms, Lansing: fruit, vegetables, mushrooms, cut flowers, seedlings
- Swallowtail Farms, Mason: greens, vegetables, cut flowers
- Ten Hens Farm, Bath: greens, vegetables
- Wildflower Eco Farm, Bath: vegetables, flowers, fruits
- Local Farm Alliance Farmer’s Market, Mason: vegetables, cut flowers
- Green Eagle Farm, Onondaga: vegetables, herbs, cut flowers
- Titus Farms: vegetables and produce of all kinds, eggs, honey, dry goods, coffee, mushrooms, fermented goods; weekly pickups
- Mycophiles Garden, Grand Rapids: selection varies but usually includes oyster, king oyster, shiitake, maitake, lion’s mane, and chestnut mushrooms. Available through Titus Farms for weekly pickups, or order directly for shipping
Eggs, Meat, and Dairy
- Reese Farms, Lansing: beef, sweet corn
- Search on FB marketplace for “farm eggs” or “fresh eggs” — I’ve gone to Bob Hurtt in Holt
- MSU Dairy Store, East Lansing: cheese, ice cream
- Trillium Wood Farm, Williamston: beef, lamb, pork, poultry
- Hickory Knoll Farms Creamery, Onondaga (Allen St Market): cheeses!
- McLaughlin Farm Ltd, Jackson: beef
- Jennings Farm, Nashville MI: beef
- McElroy Farms, Hillsdale: beef, pork, poultry, lamb. Deliveries are weekly.
- The Cheese People of Grand Rapids: cheese of all kinds! Do home delivery via mail
- Rust Belt Roastery, Lansing: coffee
- Ozone’s Brewhouse, Lansing: beer, new growlers and to-go cans (not refilling old growlers)
- Stone Cloud Gardens (Marjorie & Bob Johns): jams and jellies, vinegars, handmade soap. Order at firstname.lastname@example.org
- DavePops, St. John’s MI: dairy-free popsicles; minimum order of 1 dozen, can mix and match flavors, Lansing delivery each week
- Sandy Ridge Farm, Owosso: baked goods, syrup. Farm pickup hours are Friday 3-7pm at 3611 Tyrrell Rd Owosso; check facebook for options and order instructions
- Grampa’s Pasties, Richland MI: pasties! Taking orders and doing drops every couple of weeks